Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What was told, THAT

On Sunday I bought a book of Rumi's poetry. Here is a beautiful one:

What was said to the rose that made it open was said
to me here in my chest.

What was told the cypress that made it strong
and straight, what was

whispered the jasmine so it is what it is, whatever made
sugarcane sweet, whatever

was said to the inhabitants of the town of Chigil in
Turkestan that makes them

so handsome, whatever lets the pomegranate flower blush
like a human face, that is

being said to me now. I blush. Whatever put eloquence in
language, that's happening here.

The great warehouse doors open, I fill with gratitude,
chewing a piece of sugarcane,

in love with the one to whom every THAT belongs!

******************

When I saw the echidna as I soured through the air on my swing, I sensed the essence of that poem. The beauty of the moment seemed to me a symbol of God's beauty...I sensed a whisper of love in my heart. I suddenly felt embraced by arms the size of the universe, yet small enough to cradle me, a small child in the hands of a grandparent. I am reminded of the words of Jesus, who assures us that God is with us, caring for us - just as she cares for and clothes the lillies of the field (even King Solomon was not dressed as well!) and tends to the sparrows of the air. God breaths love throughout Creation, and as we take our place amongst rose, cypress and sugarcane, it washes over us, as well.

No comments: