Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Setting up a library in the developing world

I’m exhausted from lifting boxes of books and directing boys to lift even heavier boxes of books. I’m in the middle of converting a jumble of picture books with broken spines, faded junior fiction and geography books from the 1970s into some kind of workable library. An enthusiastic couple from Footscray has collected this array and shipped them to Solomon Islands Hope School c/o the Australian Federal Police – discards from primary school libraries in Melbourne as well as some lovely new titles straight from the publishers, which still squeak when you open the covers.

Does the book about Mexico, published in 1972, belong in the history section or the geography section?

Is the book entitled ‘Seasons’ – which really school be called ‘European Seasons’ – relevant for children living in the Solomon Islands?

Do we really need seven copies of the biography of Henry Parkes?

As temporary chief librarian, I have to make a few decisions. I decide to keep most things. Surely a book about Mexico from the 70s is better than no book about Mexico at all?

I decide fairly early on that my main task is not to set up the library, but to train a librarian, or a team of librarians. There’s no point having a library with no one to staff it, because it will quickly disintegrate without someone lovingly plastering wandering pages back in place, and entering new additions into the system.

Then I realise that my chosen future librarian has never used a computer before. I wait patiently while she tentatively presses the ‘on’ button; I take a deep breath as her eyes scan the keyboard, trembling fingers poised, looking for the ‘a’ key. You need to press ‘shift’ for capitals – try holding it down before you hit the letter. No before. Before. So much knowledge that I just take for granted now – until I have to transfer it to someone else. The difference between single clicking and double clicking is harder to explain. I kind of know by intuition now, like swallowing or speaking English. It’s so hard to explain what is second nature!

I don’t think my volunteers have even used a library before. They are trying to set up a library without knowing what one is. I told my future librarian to split the picture books from the novels; to write the picture book labels in red and the novels in black. I glanced back an hour later and saw that she had done them all in red. For me, the difference between a picture book and a novel is instinctive, and I assumed it was for her as well. I assumed wrong. She looked like she was about to cry as I helped her pull the novels from the big pile of labelled books.

I should have explained better. I should have taken them to the public library so they knew what they were working towards. I should have done a lot of things. I feel so inadequate for this task!

I now realise that my task is to train my librarians in library skills, computer skills, as well as general knowledge like the difference between history and geography. I also realise that my task is to make sure the bulk of these books get catalogued and entered into the computer – if they’re not done by the time I go, in five days time, at the rate the volunteers type, they might never get done.

As we work, as few of the little kids from the school come upstairs to the church mission house, which I’m living in and using as a workspace. They sit on the floor and read the books quietly into the afternoon. I think people here are starved of books. I left a novel lying around the other day, and it was devoured by Ruth’s daughter, and then Ruth’s cousin. This family is relatively well off, compared to other Solomon Islanders. But even for them, access to books is rare and cherished.

We’ve entered 700 titles into the system when we decide to unload the rest from the container. I stare despondently at the piles of dusty, dishevelled books that seem to keep on growing. My back aches from the hours of sitting on the rickety stool I found that belongs to the church’s drum kit, typing titles and publication dates into the computer database. The laptop we’re using has no battery so we have to find something else to do during blackouts.

Ruth and Hennesey are the couple who run the Hope School, which is for kids who live on the streets or who come from domestic violence situations. Ruth’s dream is to eventually make the library into one that the whole community can use. The children and young people walk up and down the road outside our house, continually into the night, because there’s not much else for them to do. Everybody has red-stained teeth, from the incessant betel-nut chewing. Traditionally, this mild narcotic was chewed only during feasting, for weddings and other special events. Now, people chew constantly, and betel-nut vendors line the sides of roads. Ruth hopes that a community library will give people something else to do.

But for now, until a new building can be erected, this will be a school library. Today Ruth directed some of the church boys to move bookshelves into a small area sectioned off inside the metal shed that’s the main school building.
“We’ll put some beanbags here and a small table there, for the little ones.”
I’m starting to imagine what the school library will look like.

I ask my volunteers to put the books in order, according to what we have written on their spines. My hope is that they will see the subject areas neatly groups together, and get a picture of what a library is supposed to achieve.

I’ve been working hard, but soon I need to let my baby go and let it run for itself. I hope I’ve set up something that will sustain, and will reap some rewards down the track.

11 comments:

halwis said...

It's enlightening to notice this productive interaction between the old world and the new... where for no influence of the age of their culture, in one, 1972 now belongs to history and in the other, a generation (ok.. part of a small community) will grow up knowing Mexico in 1972 as their present reality.
But old cultures change slowly because of the burdens of history and therefore, what happened in 1972 is still very relevant to most of what goes on even now.

Unknown said...

I bet those books are being devoured now! Sounds fantastic :)

Unknown said...

Fantastic stuff shared in this post topic. that would be very nice to hear. I like all comments in this post. Thanks for sharing.

spirit

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

Sounds like you realised just how useful you can actually be. :D

For what it's worth, I don't think you made a mistake in not taking them to the national library - it probably has fewer books than this one. One of the problems in SI, and from what I hear elsewhere, is books going walkabout. People value books so much, and it's so hard to keep tabs on them, that they pass hand to hand and before you know it, a library is empty. This is what seems to have happened at the national library, and also at the archives. In some respects I find this sad because they should be available to those that want them...but perhaps they are, and just not in the way we are wired up to expect they will be?

(Sorry for the ramble, it's something I've thought about a bit while wanting to cry with frustration about not being able to access files and documents that I'd love to see!)

Rebecca said...

BTW, by "actually be" I didn't mean you weren't always useful! I just know that I have a tendency to feel a bit helpless and useless, and sometimes I forget to pass on the skills that I take for granted. A classic case would be the computer literacy skills you mention!

Andreana said...

Don't worry Bec - I didn't think to take offense! You're right - I certainly didn't go in thinking I would be terribly useful ("If I don't cause any damage, that's a success," I thought), so it was a great feeling to see how much people genuinely appreciated my work. I guess that's more likely to happen when you're working with a local-led project. Ruth really knows how to get the most out of the resources that are sent her way, especially human-resources!

I wonder whether they'll end up deciding to lend books out. Ruth and Hennessey were reluctant to do it at first, but that could change and I showed them how to use the computer to lend books out. I hope they don't all disappear - even though they would still be circulating (I hope) I think Ruth has a dream for an actually library space where people can come and read. It will be interesting to go back in a year or so and see how it's all panning out!

ECOfaith CYBERcommunity said...

Hello there
As i mentioned at CREDOsunday, here is the link to an interesting weblog.
The lady can think and even accepted a Comment from moi!!
==>> http://shelbyknox.com

Andreana said...

Thanks Eco - good blog! But I don't think she's a model.

lesley said...

Andreana - If you need help with library questions like where to classify that book on Mexico, feel free to ask me - I'm a librarian. David has my email address.

Andreana said...

Thanks Lesley - I will remember you next time I have to set up a library! Actually David's mother is also a librarian, as is my sister, so I managed to get a fair bit of advice before I left. Librarians are such helpful people!

How is life - what are you doing with work at the moment?

x