Monday, June 28, 2010

Cake tin rant

I wanted to bake a cake, but in order to do so I had to buy the right size tin. The only one available was a super-good-quality-delux tin that cost $16.87 at Big W. $16.87 for a freakin' cake tin? No way!

I was thinking how there is this current trend in manufacturing really good quality homeware items - but they're the kind of things that don't actually need to be terribly good quality. I mean, my Mum has ordinary, run-of-the-mill cake tins that have lasted her all of her married life. She's still baking yummy things in them. I just don't think there's a need for overdoing it on the potato-masher quality.

But then, for other items that you use every day and actually WANT to last a long time, like electrical appliances, it's really difficult to find something good quality. In the old days TVs would last for 40 years; now TVs last for 5 years and your grater would last an eternity. Only there's no point for the grater lasting an eternity - you probably have another one anyway, so you'll send this one off to the op-shop in your next spring clean.

So I didn't buy the cake tin. I'm just going to bake the cake in something that's the wrong size.

3 comments:

David said...

Are you baking a cake for me??

Andreana said...

That is extremely presumptuous of you, David. Now why would I bake a cake for you, given it's your birthday tomorrow and I'm your fiance??

David said...

YAY!!! You did bake a cake for me!!!