Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Profound Truth

Yeah so anyway I got engaged on the weekend. I changed my relationship status on Facebook to 'Engaged', and was waiting to be inundated with messages from all my excited Facebook Friends, but so far the only person who has commented is David (who I'm engaged TO). I have had to remind myself that there's a world out there beyond the social media realm, and that in fact the people I have spoken to in real life are in fact very happy. It's important that other people are happy...the whole point of getting married (as opposed to having a long-term live-in monogamous relationship) is to get the blessing and support of the people around you. Mum's happy so we're 75 percent of the way there. And Mum's not, as far as I know, on Facebook.

Most people haven't been that concerned about the ring but want to know "how it happened". I really want to show off the ring but I suppose it's good my friends aren't as materialistic as me.

By the time my sister called and wanted to know "how it happened", I had enlarged the story to apocalyptic proportions - justifying the augmentation to David by explaining that I was attempting to convey a 'profound truth' as opposed to a 'historical truth' (or perhaps it was just: if you're going to tell a story, it might as well be a good one).

"We were watching Cats the musical when we heard a roar and realised it wasn't a cat, but was coming from outside the theatre. Before we knew it the whole stage was flooded and the cats had scattered. When we left the theatre an eerie still hovered over Collins Street. Chunks of ice littered the gutters and the leaves had been stripped from the trees and were plastered to pock-marked cars and under smashed windscreens. Part of the road had been ripped up with the torrents of rain that had rendered the storm water system completely inadequate. Then, amidst the chaos, we went to a wine bar and he got down on one knee and proposed."

Which is all sort of historically true, just as the gospels are all sort of historically true, but we give all stories a spin to emphasise a truth that is greater than the details of what actually happened. "Be with me though the weather is stormy and chaos abides all around," is my 'profound truth' - which is WAY better than "...and so he got down on one knee but I didn't really notice because we were sitting down anyway and, you know, David's pretty tall."

So now I am engaged to my lovely David and VERY excited about all our future adventures - wonderfully marked with unpredictable Melbourne weather and a warm nook in which to shelter.

11 comments:

halwis said...

Congratulations and best wishes to you both Andreana!

Jenny said...

Congratulations to you and David, Andreana! Now I don't have to ask anyone how he did it. The wonder of blogs!

Jo said...

Woo Hoo.

We are very happy here in Guatemala.

I love the wonderfully romantic second last paragraph and it made me giggle too.

And we very much liked your ring!

Unknown said...

Huge congratulations to you and David, Andreana. I'm engaged too, so If you're anything like us I suppose you're up to your ears in lists, guests, visiting and all that lovely planning! At least now you know I hardly look at Facebook.

Mil said...

Me too, excited.

gem said...

I could never comment on facebook to such amazing news. I was glad I was there when the real story about the knee came out, but your profound truth is much more important. The stuff about being there through all the stormy weather. I really enjoyed our chat on the phone last night. Nothing compared to the real thing but lovely all the same.
lots of love xxxooo

Andreana said...

Hello and thanks Haren, Jenny, Jo, Phil, Mil and Gemma for your lovely message :-)

Hi Jo! Hope you're doing well in Guatemala. He he David told me he showed you the ring...glad you like it!

Phil - when are you getting married? Have fun with it - and any tips won't go astray!

ECOfaith CYBERcommunity said...

Well, what do you know?

i wouldn't go near a Twitter if you paid me!!! Nor the new Book "Face". i've been on a journey discovering a great Australian who lived west of Alice Springs and painted desert watercolours and was a household name in the 1940s and 1950s.

(i hope i've the right Andreana Reale.)

Wow!! Engagement. That's beautiful! (Will you live in Footscray as an ex-CREDOer?.) Well done. But no $30,000 wedding dress, you hear?

Unknown said...

I'm getting married in August. Good thing Anna's more organized than me. There's a lot to be said for doing everything in a small town like Wallingford. It's all walking distance.

Jordan said...

Hello Andreana. jordan here (chris's bro!). Congratulations on getting engaged. I got married last year myself. It is fun! Your descriptions of Melbourne are evocative of the city on a crisp evening. You must be a Melbournite! Take care.

Andreana said...

Hey Jordan! Nice to hear from you. Enjoying married life? I'm having fun too, so far.